Thursday, April 1, 2010

Episode 4: A Stranger in a Foreign Land

Dear Loyal Listeners,


It seems that no episode will be without technical difficulties. It is with a heavy heart that I alert you to the fact that the computer that records the show while it's on air has crashed (or something) and the recording has been lost. Which is SUCH a pity because this week's show was -- if I may say so myself -- fabulous, thanks to our amazing guests!

However, here are several smaller segments of the show:

And the text from my interpretation on the theme, meant to go before the song "Glory Bound" by the Wailin' Jennys:

* * *
"Sometimes, foreign lands are not so much physical but one’s internal landscape. Most seniors I know are in the midst of senior essay writing and finding jobs, or apartments, or being nagged by their parents to figure out where they’re eating the Saturday of graduation. This is foreign to us all. Though the leap from high school to college is strange and new, it is still familiar in some ways. You know you are going to college. To school. And you just came from school. Nowadays, I constantly have the feeling of being on the brink of the unknown.

I’ve spent most of this semester painting this unknown in a rather negative light – I’m leaving friends, I have no idea where I’ll be in two months, or what I’ll be doing, etc. But recently, I’ve become, dare I say it, a little excited. Beyond the job and the location and the departure from friends, it’s occurred to me that I get to decide, more than ever before, what my life will look like. And of course, this positive upswing in emotional state has been accompanied by a positive upswing in music. I listen to the Wailin’ Jennys on loop. There’s nothing that’ll put you in a good mood like these girls.

So now, the music that’s accompanying a leap into that most foreign of lands, the future."

* * *

My sincere, sincere apologies. Believe me, I'm more upset than you are.

This week's show was about being a stranger in a foreign land. Its contents were as follows:

Tunes:

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow" Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
"The Click Song" Miriam Makeba
"Keevahe Sukuro"(Give me Money) (original!) performed in-studio by Daniel Carvalho
"Acabo Vomitar en tu Auto" (I Just Threw up in Your Car) (original!) performed in-studio by Daniel Carvalho
"Glory Bound" The Wailin' Jennys
"You Can Call me Al" Paul Simon
"Lisztomania" Phoenix
"White Rabbit" Jefferson Airplane
"Let My People Go" (cover) performed in-studio by Daniel Carvalho
"Orange Sky" Alexi Murdoch
"Bob Dylan's 115th Dream" Bob Dylan

Talk:

Conversation Starter with Tully McLoughlin (MC '11)
Serbin Speak&Sound with Rebecca Serbin (TC '10)
Original short story reading with Raffi Magarik (MC '10)
Interview (in addition to the studio performance) with Daniel Carvalho (DC '10)

The show will return in two weeks, on April 15. Until then, pray for fewer technical difficulties and enjoy the spring!

Sarah

No comments: